I'm always on the lookout for new, smart travel products. When I came across the Bluesmart, I was immediately sold. This is for sure the most bad-ass suitcase I've ever seen. Curious?
Suitcases haven't changed much in the last few decades, but that is about to change. Bluesmart has taken suitcase technology to the next level, utilizing micro-sensors, actuators and a microcomputer with GPS to communicate with smartphones over bluetooth.
In addition, the Bluesmart app can be synced with the suitcase and online travel services to provide smart notifications, alerts and reports to the owner.
As you can imagine, all this technology allows for a number of really cool features. So let's dive in and see what they are.
- Digital Lock: users can forget about keys or combinations and lock and unlock the suitcase from the phone app. The proximity sensors automatically lock the bag when it is separated from the user.
- Digital Scale: users are able to see the exact weight of the suitcases on the app and whether it’s approved by the airline to carry on.
- Distance Alerts: users are notified on their smartphones via SMS when they are leaving their suitcases behind, avoiding losses or thefts.
- Location Tracking: with GPS technology Bluesmart tracks the location of the suitcase and helps you find it when lost or re-routed.
- Trip Stats and Data: users are able to see trends in their travel habits (miles traveled, airports visited, time per state/country) and sync with other services for smart notifications and reminders.
Pretty awesome right? But there is more to the Bluesmart. It comes with a built-in battery charger that you can use to charge your electronic devices up to six times. Pretty awesome if you're going on a long flight! In addition, it has protected compartments, perfect for storing your electronic devices, conveniently located so you can easily take your devices out of your bag at the security checkpoint.
The Bluesmart Carry-on launched on Indiegogo for the early adopter price of $195 on October 20th, looking to raise $50,000. As I'm writing this three days later, the early adopter prices are already sold out and a stunning $331,039 has been pledges, more than six times the goal! You can get $20 off by using this link for August 2015 delivery. Be quick, as this option will probably run out soon.
Here are the bag's specs:
Size: 21.5” x 14” x 9” (approved by all airlines to carry on).
Weight: 8.5 lbs (3.8 Kg).
Watch this video to see the suitcase in action!
*update: the $195 early bird offer is no longer available but you can still order the suitcase through this link.
If you enjoyed reading this article, please share it. If you have any questions, comment below and I will respond as soon as possible! You can also sign up for my newsletter and get notified about new posts.